Rehabilitation - Gold Coast
John Flynn Private Hospital Rehabilitation Unit provides excellence in multidisciplinary, patient focussed care through the use of a holistic approach. Our aim is to help each patient optimise his or her health and functional independence.
A range of rehabilitation programs are available to eligible privately insured and veteran patients from within John Flynn Private Hospital, other hospitals and directly from the community.
Range of Programs
The Rehabilitation Unit offers a range of comprehensive in-patient programs in the following areas:
- Falls Prevention
All rehabilitation programs are approved by Private Health Funds and The Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
- 67 in-patient beds. Each room is equipped with a private ensuite and television
- Dining area
- Well-equipped gymnasium with leafy view
- Activities area
- Medical consulting room
- Access to outdoor areas
The Multidisciplinary Team
John Flynn Private Hospital Rehabilitation Unit supports a Multidisciplinary approach to health care, involving patient, family, team members and outside agencies to achieve the best outcome possible.
Team Members include:
- Rehabilitation specialists
- Rehabilitation Nurses
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Pathologist
- Social Worker
- Clinical Psychologists (as required)
- Specialist Consultants (as required)
Tailored Individual Programs
The programs are tailored to the individual’s needs and are provided by a skilled and experienced multidisciplinary team.
The team will assess care needs in the areas of:
- Hygiene and personal care
- Domestic tasks and community activities of daily living such as shopping and paying bills
- Physical abilities and areas of potential weakness such as balance, strength and endurance
- Ability to communicate including using your speech, writing, listening and reading skills
- Continence, medication management
- Safe swallowing and nutrition
The team in conjunction with the patient and their family will develop an individual therapy program to achieve mutually agreed realistic goals.
Who would benefit from rehabilitation
Eligible patients are those with impairment or disability for which there is a reasonable expectation of functional gain. The primary treatment goal will be an improvement in functional status.
John Flynn Private Hospital supports the need for early referral to rehabilitation and has established direct links with key staff in referring wards and other hospitals to facilitate this.
Referrals are to be made in writing and need to be completed by a medical practitioner. The referral must then be sent via facsimile to Bookings on (07) 5598 9118. Any enquiries regarding referrals can be directed to the Bookings Office on (07) 5598 9050.
Acceptance of the referral is at the discretion of the treating specialist based on the individual’s capacity to benefit from rehabilitation.