Good nutrition is vital throughout your treatment. It is essential that you discuss nutrition with the nursing staff during your treatment.
We have highly qualified Dietitians at John Flynn Cancer Centre who work closely with cancer patients so that all their diet needs are met.
If you require support through a dietitian please let the treating nurse know so that an appointment can be made.
Good food hygiene is also essential especially when preventing infection. You can avoid this by using these steps:
- Store raw meat on the bottom shelf of the fridge and use separate cutting boards when preparing meat products.
- Cook food thoroughly particularly chicken, seafood, meat and eggs.
- Thaw frozen foods in the fridge or microwave and never re freeze frozen food once thawed.
- Wash fruit and vegetables prior to preparing and eating.
- Ensuring dairy products are pasteurised and use only commercial honey.
- Only eat takeaways if freshly cooked but avoid all buffets, hot boxes and sushi!
- Wash hands with soap before preparing cooking and eating food.
- Ensure that you use a clean surfaces when preparing and cooking your meals.